Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Babies and Bath Water

About nine months ago, before I came to Piedmont, my Dad and I were having a conversation. I don't remember what about, but somewhere in there I remember him looking at me and saying "Erin, don't throw the baby out with the bath water."


I cracked up.


He swears that he has used the term thousands of time within my life, and yet I cannot recall ever hearing it before.


I wouldn't necessarily call it a good craft, being a simple, (apparently) overused idiom, but I believe there is an age-old insight to glean in the statement. I think the most important aspect of a word craft is for it to be truthful. Placing flowery speech and words that sound intriguing indepent of sentance structure above the content of a statement will not hold the weight intended.
By not "throwing the baby out", we learn that sometimes, the good is young and needs development- but does not require being thrown out with the waste that surrounds. It's like editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment